Mission: LCC’s Writing and Communication Committee maintains an overview of the Writing and Communication Program in ways that enable committee members to provide advice about the policies and practices of the Program. LCC’s Writing and Communication Committee serves a program advisory function, in face-to-face meetings at least four times a year and otherwise in e-correspondence.
Membership: The LCC tenure-line faculty members on the Writing and Communication Committee are appointed by the LCC Chair. The Brittain Fellows representatives (one from each cohort, an at-large rep, and the Brittain Fellow who sits on the LCC Executive Committee) are elected by the entire contingent of Brittain Fellows. The Director of Writing and Communication, the Assistant Director of Writing and Communication, and the Director of the Communication Center always serve on this committee. A recording secretary is selected from the committee membership. All members on the committee have an equal vote.
Chair: Rebecca E. Burnett
Committee Coordinator: Robin Wharton
Committee Members: LCC Reps: Narin Hassan, Michael Nitsche, Aaron Santesso; 1st-year BF Rep: Rachel Dean-Ruzicka; 2nd-year BF Rep: Andy Frazee; 3rd-year BF Rep: Robert Blaskiewicz; at-large BF Rep: Jesse Stommel; Executive Committee BF rep: Sarah Schiff; Communication Center rep: Karen Head.
- Review and provide advice regarding program overview.
- Review the plans and deliverables of the Writing and Communication Program committees, respond to committee reports, and provide advice regarding committee activities.
- Recommend membership for an external Development Council and an Institute-wide Advisory Council.
- Consider ways to encourage LCC tenure-line faculty members to be more receptive and responsive to Brittain Fellows as colleagues.
- Extend outcomes and assessment practices of the Writing and Communication Program to include all sections of English 1101, English 1102, and LCC 3403.
Prior Committee History
Chair: Rebecca E. Burnett
Coordinator: L. Andrew Cooper
Committee Members: LCC Reps: TyAnna Herrington, Narin Hassan; UCC Rep: Aaron Santesso; 1st-year BF Rep: Jesse Stommel; 2nd-year BF Rep: Kathryn Crowther; 3rd-year BF Rep: Jo Anne Harris; at-large BF Rep: Irene Middleton (serving as recording secretary for the committee)
- Review the plans and deliverables of the Writing and Communication Program committees, offering guidance and comment.
- Review current portfolio assessment.
- Consider ways to encourage LCC tenure-line faculty to develop their English 1101, English 1102, and LCC 3403 courses in ways that are consistent with Writing and Communication Program outcomes and assessment practices.